BRIDGWATER NEWS: Antifreeze warning after two cats die in one week in the same street
THE RSPCA is warning people to be aware of the dangers of antifreeze after two much-loved cats died from antifreeze poisoning just three days apart in Bridgwater.
A vet has confirmed the two young cats, who were owned by a family in Manor Road, Bridgwater, were poisoned after consuming a large quantity of antifreeze.
One cat sadly died on Sunday, December 3, 2017, just days before the second cat passed away on Tuesday, December 5, 2017.
The animal welfare charity is now hoping to warn other animal-owners about the dangers chemicals and pesticides can pose to pets and wildlife.
RSPCA Inspector John Pollock said: “This is a very upsetting incident which has resulted in the death of two much-loved family pets. Their owner, who lives in Manor Road, Bridgwater, Somerset, has been left devastated by their deaths.
“At this stage we do not know if these were accidental incidents or deliberate but in the meantime we would ask everyone in the area to check where they keep their pesticides and chemicals and make sure they are secure and out of the way.
“Making sure antifreeze lids are shut tightly or cleaning up any spillages may save an animal’s life.”
Pet owners are asked to be vigilant and keep an eye on their cats’ wellbeing - if they are showing symptoms of poisoning, take them for veterinary treatment immediately.
Signs of poisoning can be seen anything from 30 minutes after ingestion to two or three days.
This can include some, or all of the following symptoms: vomiting, seeming depressed or sleepy, appearing drunk or uncoordinated, seizures and difficulty breathing.
To help the RSPCA continue rescuing, rehabilitating and rehoming animals in desperate need of care please visit: www.rspca.org.uk/give .
If anyone has any information about the cats death, please contact the RSPCA on 0300 123 8018.